Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sanur, Bali, Kite Festival

Before I start posting photos for cremation preparations, I'd like to post a few from the Kite Festival I attended in Sanur yesterday. Kite flying is a competitive sport here in Bali, and there is something about that I just love. No tackling people, no knocking it into the goal, just kite flying. Though I found it is a bit dangerous, when we had to dash away as a kite threatened to fall on us. Some of those kites are 100 meters long, so being clobbered by one is no laughing matter.

Hey, I told you this is a popular sport. Check out this crowd.


The front of a 100 yard kite.
More kite flying hopefuls from a different village.


My silversmith, Dedo, is also a buddy. Here he's buying us some roasted corn. I chose the chili sauce, he chose the sweet sauce. Dedo was flying a kite competitively here with his friends from Batubulan the day before. And they won! Because they kites are so large, they require several people to operate them.

Kids on the beach, just to the side of the kite flying field in Sanur.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home