Sunday, June 15, 2008

Ketut Soki, Balinese Young Artist master


As I mentioned in a previous post, some people I met in California were here in Bali for the first time, and I suggested they hire my old and dear friend Wayan Subawa as a guide for a day. I tagged along, and suggested to Wayan that before we went on our way, we drop by the artist village of Penestanan. I had noticed one of the women seemed to be drawn to the Young Artist style of painting.

Wayan said we must go to Ketut Soki's. Well, Ketut Soki is quite famous and is internationally exhibited. He was at the very forefront of the Young Artist movement, one of the first two young boys who studied with Ari Smit in the 1960’s. (Check him out on wikipedia.com or just google him.) I had more of a no-name, much cheaper artist in mind, as I did not think any of us could afford the works of this master. But what the heck, I figured, let's go see Soki. Always fun to meet a celebrity.

Soki, now in his late 60's, greeted us himself as we came into the compound and led us to the room that houses his paintings - the few that aren't in museums, expensive galleries or on their way to far-flung parts of the world. He was charming and friendly with a ready smile. He spoke little English, but with my very little Bahasa Indonesia (plus Wayan) we were able to communicate.

After my companions spent a lot of time looking, I pointed out a medium-sized painting Soki said he favored. It represented scenes from the market, rice fields, ceremonies, barong, lots going on. Yet it was cohesive and very well done. I was considering buying it myself, though I’m usually more of a fan of the Batuan style of painting. We took so long that I was feeling a little guilty, because I thought we were wasting the great master’s time.

Then, suddenly, one of my friends started crying. She was moved by the sense of community represented in the paintings and the affability and graciousness of Soki himself. This surprised us all, and especially her. Wayan asked Soki if anyone had ever cried in his studio before, and he said many times. Once an American man cried in his studio from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.!

When we finally asked for prices, Soki named a fraction of what his stuff goes for in the galleries. I almost fell over, because they were quite affordable. I told the women they were being given very good prices by a well-known artist and should buy one. The woman who was so moved bought the one I had my eye on (I figured I’d give her first dibs as I could come back) and also a second marketplace scene.

You can see from my recent posts that I have become a bit jaded regarding Bali. But meeting this man went miles toward renewing my faith. Before we left, he and his charming daughter also showed us around the compound, full of orchids and positive energy. I liked the daughter quite a bit, and Wayan told me later she also paints. Lovely people, and I hope to see them both again.



I’ve posted a photo of Soki here (as well as one of a tree in his family compound). He was smiling the entire time we were with him, but put on a stern, professional face for photos. When I return, perhaps I can capture his smile.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home