Sunday, November 20, 2005

Warmth (Bali, 2005)


I remember riding through the rice fields north of Ubud on the back of Tut's motorcycle when everything was new, years ago. He pretended to show me houses for rent, and I pretended I needed his help. We stopped along the road in the gathering twilight, alone except for a farmer in a broad straw hat and a hiked-up sarong, herding his ducks home from the rice fields, and some children chasing each other in the shadow of a distant, ancient, Hindu temple. We laughed, and we talked, and we watched each other's signals - the age old dance. 'Tut with his ready laugh, his clever jokes and his wry, wicked wit.

Since then, Ketut and I have been through a lot; we know we could never live together, we bicker and we drive each other crazy. I've tried to say good-bye to him a hundred times, but still we are bound to each other, though we don't quite understand how. Even my old friend Abang, who knows what I'm thinking before I do, can't figure out this one - "What's with you guys?" he asks. But I don't have an answer, except that somehow, when I wasn't looking, Ketut became family.

The last time I saw Ketut was in April, when he helped me pack my bags to head back to the States. He was going to accompany me to the airport, but when Wayan arrived with the car, we saw there was no room for Ketut, due to the size of my large bags. I had yet to return the motorcyle I had rented three months before from Putuh, and Wayan went ahead in the car to wait for me at Putuh's. Ketut and I started off down the road, he on his motorcycle, and me not behind him, but on my own motorcyle this time. We stopped at a warung across the road to say our last good-bye.

Now Ketut is in the hospital with a serious illness, and he has just returned from Singapore where he had an operation. I talked with him on the phone tonight, Ketut in hot, tropical Bali, and he asked me to send him a warm coat, because he is so cold.

4 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Blogger joyfish said...

This post shows your deep feeling for Ketut and describes your relationship in a poetic way. I want him to get that coat!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Work in Progress said...

Here you go, Joyfish; you've been posting comments here asking me to write something new. I've been so busy and so worried about Ketut, that I couldn't write anything until now. After I spoke with 'Tut the other night, I fixated on that coat, because it was the one thing I could control in this scary situation. The good news is, less than 24 hours after he asked for an old, used coat from a second hand store, I was able to get a (new) coat on a plane to him thanks to the fast actions of a lot of caring people. The morning after I spoke with 'Tut, I sent out a mass email to my friends associated with the Bali/Indo community here. My friends called their friends and found a Balinese guy who was headed to Bali that night. They prevailed upon him to carry the coat, and other friends were able to get him the coat that I had quickly bought on my noon lunch hour. I've spoken with 'Tut, and he is cheered up to hear it's on its way. (Actually the coat must be in Bali by now.) The Bali/San Francisco Bay community rocks! I take this as a sign that all will be well, and he will recover. I didn't used to believe in signs, but Bali has left its mark on me, and I have to believe.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Very fine stories about Bali. Found your site a few minutes from the mention at Jakartass. I'll bookmark you and do please keep up the good work. And more photos!

Carl
San Francisco

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Work in Progress said...

For those of you who have been asking about Ketut, yes it is a true story. We both appreciate your sentiments. The good news is that not only did he get the coat, but he has enjoyed a full recovery. He is now in the process of trying to get a visa to visit friends in the U.S. I spoke with him just today and he is doing great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home